professional_Alison
professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
65051498

how do we get our 4 year old and two year old to stop competeing

how do we get our 4 year old and two year old to stop competeing and start sharing?

professional_Alison : Hello there, may I help you?
professional_Alison : In a situation with two children of four and two they will be competing for your attention. It is important here to sit down with them and encourage taking turns, have an egg timer they can see and when the timer runs out introduce changer over time. If its something they can do together positively encourage them to play together. Lots of praise is important here. Remember that your younger child is only two so there understanding will be more limited. You could also introduce a sharing progress chart for your four year old so everytime you see her share she gets a sticker. When she has 10 for examPle she can go to the shops with you and choose a magazine for example.
professional_Alison : Try also to have time with the children individually as this will help them to compete less for your affection. Perhaps if you have another adult who can help, you could be playing with the younger child while the older one is busy in another room. Take the older one swimming on her own too. It's important to have time together and work and play effectively but you need to guide this and be a positive reinforcement. This behaviour is a normal part of siblings within a family so don't dispair. I wish you luck. Do lets know if I can assist you further.