How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Helant Your Own Question
Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1386
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Jen Helant is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What king of legal actions can I take against my parents? I

This answer was rated:

What king of legal actions can I take against my parents? I have been stopped from seeing my girlfriend, I have hurted her more than anything. It happened twice already because of my parents. I was wondering is there any legal actions I can take to live my own life the way I want to? Basically right now they are controlling my life, I have no social life, cant see any of my friends, no cell phone, no license to drive any where, cant go out without my brother, cant attend phone calls or call anyone. I am 21 years old, live in Manitoba, Canada, and I'm living like a dead person alive but cant do anything. I just go to work and come home. I have nothing else to do. I am not allowed to do anything.

What are my rights as a Canadian Citizen and also being of a legal age. Is there anything possible I can do? Can I ask for help from the police? Can I go get the legal notice from the court against my life and what I can and cant do? Please let me know as I am really in pain and have already been to hospital.

I been living in Canada for 10 years and its been like that since I got older and still hasn't changed. Everyone told me to stand up and stick up for myself but I can't do it because the way I get treated at home. Even had death threats from my parents and brother. Please help me.
First off if they give you death threats then you should definitely go to the police. That is nothing to play with. Besides that part the legal age in Canada is 18 years old. However, if you live under their roof then there is not much you can do. You pretty much need to obey their rules. You can try and converse with them to negotiate better terms, but in their house it is their way. If you really want to live by your own rules then the best thing I can tell you is try to prepare to move out and live your own life. That way you will be under your own rules. I wish you all the best!
Jen Helant and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you