Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Family Counselor
Experience:  Master degree and Licensed Social Worker.
16045978

I have two teenagers, my daughter is 15 & my son is 16. My

I have two teenagers, my daughter is 15 & my son is 16. My son failed english and has to attend summer school. My daughter did well. Usually, during the summer I give them extra chores around the house. But because my son is in school, I did not give him any chores this time. Is this fair to my daughter? she thinks it is a punishment for doing well. I kind of see her point. What do you think?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to help you out.

You obviously have a very smart daughter and I can see her point as well. I also understand your reasoning for going easy on your son since he was obviously having a tough time in school. If the chores are too much for your son, or if they would impede his ability to do well in summer school, then perhaps they should be adjusted or moderated so that he can succeed with his schoolwork. If he was voluntarily taking extra summer classes, that may be something that would make you consider allowing him to skip his chores as a reward. Otherwise, unless there are specific reasons to stop his chores, it would seem appropriate for him to have to do them in addition to summer school.

I hope I've been able to answer your question and definitely wish you the best. If there is anything else I can do to help just let me know.

Ryan