Adviser Mills C.C.D.
Adviser Mills C.C.D., Child Care
Experience:  15 years Plus, Preschool Owner, Teen Mentor
67973250

My 2 year old son is excessively biting, its started very

Customer Question

My 2 year old son is excessively biting, it's started very very quickly, and he seems to have no understanding that it causes pain and upset, i have tried everything, he is also extremely attention seeking and regularly has massive angry episodes, i have no idea where this behaviour has come from
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Howard Wise replied 5 years ago.
Hello, this is Howard,

Many toddlers go through a “biting stage.” This behavior is completely normal. Please do not smack of yell at your child!

For more information about biting refer to the following web site:

http://www.handinhandparenting.org/news/14/64/What-to-do-When-Your-Toddler-Bites)

I am available to answer any additional questions which you may have.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Biting me 6 or 7 times a day is normal ? and him biting lots of children at nursery is alson normal ?
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 5 years ago.
Hello there, may I help you? I have dealt with lots of children who go through the stage of biting at this age, it can be difficult as there level of understanding is limited. When he bites you or another child you need to get down to his level and say in a firm voice, you do not bite. It hurts Mummy, showing a sad face and then encourage an age appropriate apology, such as a stroke or hug. Keep consistent with how you deal with the biting and work closely with the nursery to ensure they are dealing with the biting in the same way as you. It may be worth keeping a diary of his biting and what causes him to do it. It is a phase that will pass but in the meantime be strong and stick to your methods to teach your son that biting is not acceptable.
Here is a very good age appropriate book available from amazon which you could read with your son. Teeth Are Not for Biting (Board Book) Best Behavior Series, Elizabeth Verdick (Author), Marieka Heinlen (Illustrator).
Here's another one I have also used. No Biting! (Hardcover)
by Karen Katz (Author). I hope this information will be useful to you.
Expert:  Adviser Mills C.C.D. replied 5 years ago.
I can help with this. There is an issue in your child's nursery. Over crowded or not enough entertainment. This is a VERY NORMAL thing for a child to go through. Many of them do. Distraction is the best at this age, if they go to bite, it needs to be caught right away. Bring the child to a new activity. A great deal of the time, this is because the child is having trouble communicating or sharing. Time out will not work at this age. You need to get the nursery on board with you. It will take a team, he will need special attention so that he is not put in the situation that causes biting. Make sure the room has plenty of toys and a structured activity schedule. Is he now biting at home? Usually they will not unless other peers are around. Do not feel bad about this. It is the number one problem at this age. They are learning to tell you how they feel and the frustration of no words can be overwhelming. Distraction and Structure are the remedy to your issue.
Please let me know if I can help you any further with this question.
Adviser Mills C.C.D., Child Care
Experience: 15 years Plus, Preschool Owner, Teen Mentor
Do let me know if you need any further advice.