professional_Alison
professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
65051498

We have a 6 year old boy with DS who is strong and escapes

We have a 6 year old boy with DS who is strong and escapes the home frequently. Even though we have locks on the doors, etc., he tends to figure them out. This weekend, he ran to a neighbors house, broke in and ended up hitting their son who is 2. How do we stop him from running and breaking into others homes? We've tried a variety of things but to no avail.

Help!!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 5 years ago.

professional_Alison :

Hello there, may I help you?

professional_Alison :

I understamd your concern. You need to protect your son from escaping and also danger outside the home. Have you tried bolts up high that he cant reach or locks with keys so he cant escape. The other option is a magnetic lock with cannot be opened without the special gadget to release the lock. I am unsure of your sons lever of understanding but it would also be a good idea to talk to him about keeping him safe and not running off in appropraiate language he can grasp.

Customer:

we've tried speaking to him in language he understands but it is hard since he doesn't respond or we cannot understand his language well either. He is smart enough now to get a stool and climb to a point where he can unlock them.

professional_Alison :

I found an interesting article which may be helpful to you. www.examiner.com/article/keeping-your-special-needs-child-safe

professional_Alison :

I see then a magnetic lock or a lock and key would be the safest option.

Customer:

Yes, I guess investing in a lock and key system is the best. It feels a little draconian but, I guess if that's the only thing left. How do you suggest handling the anger behavior once he figures out his "locked in"?

professional_Alison :

I think you need to be very careful to explain that it is to keep him safe, becasue he is special and you dont want anthing to happen to him. I would then try and divert his attention to somethinf else. If there is a particukar thing he likes to do, go straight for that activity and dont go back to a conversation about the door. Try to divert to a new topic each time. He will soon accept the locks as part of his daily routine.

Customer:

Thank you.

professional_Alison :

The other thing to try is for every day he doesnt touch the doors once the anger has passed at the end of the day, do a progress chart, showing how pleased you are, with a sticker, when he gets five stickers, he gets a special outing or a friend to play etc. Praise the fact he has taken the locks on board.

professional_Alison :

All children respond well to praise and it gives them a sense of purpose.

professional_Alison :

If I can help you further please ask, if i have answered your question please accept.