How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Shirley Schaye Your Own Question
Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1673
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Dr. Shirley Schaye is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a devorced mother. My daughter of 5 years old stays with

Resolved Question:

I am a devorced mother. My daughter of 5 years old stays with me. She visits her father every second weekend. He picks her up on the Saturday morning and brings her back home on the Sunday afternoon. It has been happening that he brings her back already the Saturday afternoon, due to whatever reason he can think of. Now he want me to, if he picks her up the Saturday, he wants me to fetch her at his place on the Sunday. What is the law regarding this. Is this not his responsibility? Is it his responsibility to pick her up from my house and return her to me? Please advise.

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about this and certainly sorry about it's impact on your daughter. His responsibility would be what was determined in the child custody arrangement that was set up when you divorced. You would need to bring this up with your divorce attorney to see what child custody arrangements were made when you were divorced or if they changed only those custody arrangements that were legally sanctioned. So again, call your divorce attorney and s/he will help you negotiate this with your ex husband.


This matter is not mentioned anywhere in our arrangement. We dont really have a child custody arrangement. It only gives the amount of support he has to pay for my daughter. Should I contact a attorney and maybe have a child custody arrangement drawn up?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Yes, I think you should contact your divorce attorney and s/he will help you negotiate through the legalities.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Again, I want to say how sad it is that he is behaving this way. I do think that your lawyer will be able to put you in the right direction.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I see that you are offline now. I'll pause here and await your response to see if there is anything you would like to add so that we may continue with our chat. Do add whatever you want and then I'll respond. If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your questions, please click on ACCEPT and leave feedback. Bonuses are always appreciated. You can always ask more questions even after you have clicked on Accept. Just put Dr. Shirley Schaye before your response and I will be the one to respond.

Dr. Shirley Schaye and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you