Parenting

Have Parenting Questions? Ask a Parenting Counselor for Answers

Parenting

I have a teenage boy who is doing bad in school and wants to

Customer Question
spend his time with his...
I have a teenage boy who is doing bad in school and wants to spend his time with his friends what can I do to direct him on the right track?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Parenting
2/22/2012
Parenting Counselor: proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach replied 5 years ago
proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. How old is you son? What grade is he in? Has he always received bad grades? Is he respectful towards you? Does he listen to your requests and demands? Thank you!
he is 9th grade and he is 14 years old. he started misbehaving in the middle of seventh grade. He is special ed student and he gets frustrated when he cant do something but sometimes he doesnt try hard enough to get things done. he is always tired an says he is lazy. He can't get mad at me sometimes but usually just says I am sorry I don't know why I do that. sometimes, he just walk out without telling me where he is going. I have to call him and ask him and he tells me he is with his friends.
What is his special education disability?
Learning disabilities and he was released from speech. they also trying to see if he is qualifies for other impariment disabilities. He doesn't stay on task. he gets bored and sleepy and doesn't respond when is talked to.
Has he ever been evaluated for ADD?
i am not sure, I think that is what they want to do evaluated him for because of his behavior. they are trying to evaluate him but he is skipping classes and they can't meet with him. He goes to two or three classes and then leaves school. First quarter was better, second quarter ok on his attendance now the classes he is not interested in he doesn't come at all.
Hello and thank you for responding. Your son is obviously very frustrated about his inability to acquire, grasp, remember, and recall new academic skills. He therefore would rather cut classes and be with his friends who probably are not the greatest influences on him. Most schools have a closed campus so that the students cannot leave. However, your son's school does not seem to be that type. Nonetheless, you need to enlist the help of a school psychologist, counselor, or administrator that your son must report to daily....morning, midday, and at the end of the day. Then when your son shows improvement in school attendance, you must reward him. As his school attendance improves, his attitude toward school will improve as well but he must have people that he reports to. Otherwise, he will feel like no one cares and continue skipping school. With regards XXXXX XXXXX grades, many boys do tend to start lagging in their academic studies in the 7th and 8th grades and then start doing better around the 10 th grade. However in your son's case, things are compounded by his learning disability. Your son sounds like he is very capable of improving but sounds like his self esteem is very low now. Try to build him up by praising him when he does anything right! Additionally, you may want to seek professional outside psychological counseling so that your son learns the necessary coping and intervention strategies in dealing with life in an effective and appropriate manner. It sounds like your son feels as though he can do whatever he want. However, I do get the feeling that there are several emotional issues as well as academic issues that need to be addressed regarding your son. He may have ADD like I mentioned which would cause him to remain unfocused at school, uninterested, and want to skip class. With regards XXXXX XXXXX always being tired, his pediatrician would need to evaluate him. This may seem like a lot of information but I hope that bit provided you with some insights and gave you some direction as to what you should do. This is a stage and a leaning lesson for all involved. Take care and have a blessed day. Stay encouraged!
can u recomend places where I can take him?
Yes...You can contact your son's pediatrician and ask for referrals to child psychologists. Additionally, you can contact the psychologist at your son's school for further resources. You must take these steps otherwise your son may continue to slip through the cracks. No one will advocate for your son better than you will. :)
Take care!
proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Hello. Just checking in to see how things are going with your son? Let me know if I can be of further assistance!
proexpert37
proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach