How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bonnie Your Own Question
Bonnie, Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 2189
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Bonnie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the state of Michigan, if a young child has to have a CT

Resolved Question:

In the state of Michigan, if a young child has to have a CT scan, and the child is on a government assisted health card plan, does the parent who has custody of the child have to be present during the test or can someone else take the child to the appointment? Would you have to present the medicaid card to the institution at sign-in and could someone else sign the paperwork for the child?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,
You would need to present the card to the admission (sign-in) clerk. You can ca,, the center or hospital and ask if they have a pre-registration procedure that you can do on the phone, You would call the "admissions or intake" department to find out.

Custodial parent should send a letter along with the person accompanying the child which says "I give permission for _______ to bring my child to the appointment. Please call me if there are any questions at ________." Without the card and the written permission from the custodial parent, they will not see the child.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for answering my question but I am a little confused about the procedure. If you call and pre-register on the phone to the hospital, would you still need the medical card the day of the appointment to check in, and also the letter of permission from the custodial parent? Are the reception clerks rigid about having the permission letters or can a dad simply get though by being the other parent?
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
It is hard to know for sure....maybe or maybe not. The mother would need to do the pre-registering and thereby give permission on the phone and give insurance info. It probably would be possible for the father to check in without custodial parent permission because they are not going to ask for court papers to prove custody arrangements...unless custodial mother calls and alerts them of her wishes (to allow or not allow the procedure). It is probable that they will want a copy of card on file but not absolutely necessary (if they have the insurance numbers from mother or already on file).

So I guess the answer is that "it depends"....on the hospital and the admission clerk that you get.
Bonnie and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you