JaRee1993
JaRee1993, Family Counselor
Experience:  Licensed to do family counseling including parenting skills
11914957

We have a 4 1/2 year old girl that has great problems in interacting

Customer Question

We have a 4 1/2 year old girl that has great problems in interacting with her brother.

She is 2 years younger than her brother & is always competing with her brother. This may even involve silly things that she should not be competing for. But for some reason she believes that it is all one big contest. This leads to big temper tantrums that are repeated over & over even though she says sorry but after a short while the same is happening. I belive she is honest when she apologizes but something that she cannot control do not allow her to change her behaviour

She also has big tantrums with us when she does not get her own way.

We need to speak with someone in our home so they can see how she interacts with us. We are worried & would like an opinion from a professional to rule our any behavioural or psychological condition. Can you please provide me with a few contacts.

She has been enrolled to start school next week but we are seariouly considering delaying her until next year but our parents have said that the structure & discipline of school may be what she needs.

Your help would be grealy appreciated.

Tony
Category: Parenting
Expert:  JaRee1993 replied 5 years ago.

JaRee1993 :

Hi, thank you for contacting Just Answer. My name is JaRee and I am a mental health counselor. If you can give me the city and state you are living in I can try to find you some contacts there. However, to make things easier and faster for you I recommend that you call your local mental health board and explain the problem to them and ask them for referrals. It sounds as though she does need a professional to rule out any serious psychological problems and to give you some skills in dealing with her. If money is an issue there are community agencies that go by your income, therefore, you can end up paying little or nothing for her evaluation and possible treatment. Again I will be glad to find some referrals for you if you would like or you can call the mental health board.

Please let me know if I can assist you further in this. If this answer has helped you then please press the Accept button at the bottom of the page so that I can be paid by Just Answer. Also, please fill out the feedback form so that I can know how to better serve our customers. Again, thank you for contacting Just Answer.