Cher
Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
1470369

Hi, Ive not been online before in this manner, but Id like

Customer Question

Hi, I've not been online before in this manner, but I'd like to ask a question about my almost 9yr old and how I can turn these situations around.
'Can't' seems to 'the' word of her vocabulary, irrespective how much encouragement and praise I give her...
To the point where it depletes and exhausts me in trying to uplift and change her negative belief system.
In the end, I just give up...and then I am disappointed in myself as a parent.
Do you have any advice at all...
I have noticed that your customers are predominately from the States, however, I'm writing to you from Australia.
Thanks in advance
Category: Parenting
Expert:  KaterB1270 replied 5 years ago.

I can only imagine how you feel when this occurs. You are doing the best you can and now by reaching out for help you will have more "tools in your tool box" so to speak. I wanted to ask a couple of questions so I can better help with the question. If you don't mind please respond back to me at your convenience.

1. Is there any background that I need to be aware of? (possible divorce, moving, any other big change)
  2. Has there been any abuse or neglect in the past? (I hate having to ask this but I can really be an insight into why a child is acting a certain way.)
  3. What other "encouragement" have you tried?
  4. How does she act when around friends?
  5. Does this "can't do" attitude show with others or just us?

I will await your answers which will allow me to better individualize your answer specifically for your daughter. I look forward to working with you more.

Kate

I have not heard back from the info request I sent you. Are you still in need of advice?