Parenting

Have Parenting Questions? Ask a Parenting Counselor for Answers

Parenting

Kid just came back from college after 1 semester. Did a drop

Customer Question
Kid just came back from...
Kid just came back from college after 1 semester. Did a drop past deadline for an F in one class. Very spoiled with doting grandparents. Signed up for one class at community college to humor adults and is getting a job. Very cooperative but talks about going to Kentucky to live close to a boy 17(senior), she is 19. Met him gaming online 3 years ago. We plan to take her to KY to meet him in person so we can make sure he is ok. We are beside ourselves. Help
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Parenting
1/12/2012
Parenting Counselor: proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach replied 6 years ago
proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. How far away is Kentucky from where your daughter currently lives? Does your daughter have many friends? What does you daughter expect to gain from meeting a minor ...because she is 19?
Kentucky is a long way from New Hampshire. She doesn't think the age difference is a problem. She has friends though she isn't as social as her sister. She loves playing games a lot. I think she likes this boy.
In addition, she has led a very sheltered life, 4 generations in same large farm house. She has had another boyfriend. She is not sexually active. Very innocent.
Hello and Thank You for responding. Since your daughter has lived a very sheltered life and is so innocent without a great deal of friends, allowing her to meet a boy she met online and move near him is not a wise idea. If she moves near him and the relationship does not work out, your daughter will be crushed and devastated. Then what? Also it s concerning that this young man may sense the innocent nature of your daughter and take advantage of her kind nature. Your daughter has not had enough life experiences to be in another town out there with this young man. It is almost as if you are throwing her out to the wolves. You have no idea what may truly transpire. Do not take her to meet this young man. It may be a recipe for disaster. There are tons of young men right in you neighborhood. Your daughter may lack the maturity that she thinks she has to venture out with this young man. Keep her close for now.

:)
proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
proexpert37
proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach