Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced, Board Certified practicing Pediatrician experienced in common parenting issues.
239748

I cant get my 3.5 year old daughter to eat any solid food.

I can't get my 3.5 year old daughter to eat any solid food. I'm able to get a carnation instant breakfast into her in the morning, but the rest of the day it's a little of this and a little of that (nothing that anyone would agree is healthy). She won't eat vegetables, fruit, bread. Is allergic to peanut butter and milk products. Her doctor says keep trying different things, but I truly can't afford to be throwing away everything that I've been offering her. Especially now that I'm unemployed!! Help!!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 5 years ago.

ParentingMD :

It would appear that you are already involved in a power struggle with your preschooler

ParentingMD :

and there can be only one winner in this case... and that is not likely you !

ParentingMD :

Your unemployment certainly makes things more difficult

ParentingMD :

I would recommend starting by getting her hemoglobin checked

ParentingMD :

Many kids with food allergies tend to be anemic, and this can cause a further decreased interest in food

ParentingMD :

I would recommend adding a multivitamin to her diet, and possibly iron as per the hemoglobin report

ParentingMD :

this should help boost her appetite

ParentingMD :

Then I would like to do some changes in her diet plan that you need to follow to encourage food discipline

ParentingMD :

To prevent feeding problems, teach your child to feed himself as early as possible, provide him with healthy choices and allow experimentation. Mealtimes should be enjoyable and pleasant and not a source of struggle. Common mistakes are allowing your child to drink too much milk or juice so that he isn't hungry for solids, forcing your child to eat when he isn't hungry, or forcing him to eat foods that he doesn't want.

ParentingMD :

An important way that children learn to be independent is through establishing independence about feeding. Even though your child may not be eating as well rounded a diet as you would like, as long as your child is growing normally and has a normal energy level, there is probably little to worry about.

ParentingMD :

While you should provide three well-balanced meals each day, it is important to keep in mind that most children will only eat one or two full meals each day. If you child has had a good breakfast and lunch, then it is okay that he doesn't want to eat much at dinner.

Other ways to prevent feeding problems are to not use food as a bribe or reward for desired behaviors, avoid punishing your child for not eating well, limit mealtime conversation to positive and pleasant topics, avoid discussing or commenting on your child's poor eating habits while at the table, limit eating and drinking to the table or high chair, and limit snacks to two nutritious snacks each day.

ParentingMD :

These tips should help in your situation to get you back on track,

ParentingMD :

And try not to worry too much if the child has a normal weight, height, and is active,

ParentingMD :

I know that it is second nature for parents to worry about children's diet

ParentingMD :

:)

ParentingMD :

I am a parent of a two year old, and I can appreciate your concerns

ParentingMD :

BUT for most part are concerns are ill-founded and do not need to be a source of constant concern,

ParentingMD :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications