Parenting

Have parenting questions? Ask a parenting counselor for answers

Hi, I have a question about parents wrestling with their children.

Customer Question
My son is 11, and...
Hi, I have a question about parents wrestling with their children. My son is 11, and sometimes wrestles with his dad. My son giggles kind of in a way that makes me feel weird. I often will come into the room and stand and watch, then the giggling will stop or the wrestling will stop. His dad often has made remarks for my son to stop pinching his boobs if I'm standing watching. I come from a childhood that I was raped as a child and molested beginning at the age of 4 and it did not stop for a few years. I am very ensecure and get a sick feeling when the wrestling is going on. I am trying so hard to still yet understand the physical contact, but can certainly say, I am not comfortable. I want to call a therapist. I have spoken to my son about inappropriate touching, all things I should have been warned about. My son often defends his dad and visa versa.
I don't want to be over reacting and be uncomfortable because of what I've been through, but most importantly, I want to protect my son.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Parenting
11/28/2011
Parenting Counselor: Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD) replied 6 years ago
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)

ParentingMD :

Your concerns are quite understandable as a parent, and as a prior victim too

ParentingMD :

I would have to say that I agree with your initial assessment, and would certainly consider getting a professional opinion her

ParentingMD :

here

ParentingMD :

Get a professional therapist to talk to you about your concerns, and then try getting him to interact with your son, in the absence of the father

ParentingMD :

they should be able to get answers to your concerns, and help you get to the bottom of this situation

ParentingMD :

I do not believe that you are over reacting and share your concerns,

ParentingMD :

Whether they are true or not needs to be find out by interacting with your therapist

ParentingMD :

and a detailed interview between them and your son

ParentingMD :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)