How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Shirley Schaye Your Own Question
Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1673
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Dr. Shirley Schaye is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi how do you get help for someone who is displaying all the

Customer Question

Hi how do you get help for someone who is displaying all the signs of a mental illness
believing other people need the mental help yet everything they say is a reflection of
who they are. Being a toxic person to her children not allowing their father to have
any contact with the children that they now hate him. How do you beat this?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.
I am very sorry to hear this and touched by your sensitivity and awareness of indeed how cruel this mother's behaviour is. It is unfortunate, though, that there is not much you can do about her. The laws of our land are such that if a person is not a minor and is not homicidal or suicidal there is not anything you can do. Even for someone who is homicidal or suicidal you need a two physician certificate (2PC) to get them committed.
There is another route you can take. If you are aware of this mother's neglect or pathological behaviour towards her children, you can report her to your county shildren's services. They will then go in and do an evaluation and make the mother abide by what they recommend. Otherwise, they do have the option of removing the children from the home.
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.

Of course, if this was a woman that you could sit down and talk to this would be a different matter. If not,then the other alternative of finding an issue to report to childrens' services is the only avenue to take.

I'll pause here and await your response to see if there is anything you would
like to add to this chat.If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your questions, please click on ACCEPT and leave feedback. Bonuses are always appreciated. You can always ask more questions after you have clicked on Accept. Just put Dr. Shirley Schaye before your response and I will be the one to respond.