How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my friend has 3 unruly, disrespecful children who are sometimes

Customer Question

my friend has 3 unruly, disrespecful children who are sometimes violent towards her. their father is not around and during any phone conversations he has with the children he bad mouths her and does not help with practical or financial support. the children defend him and think he has never done anything wrong. my friend suffered physical abuse which the children witnessed and had counselling for. the boys are 14 and 5, the girl is 8. if we approached social services would my friend risk losing her children? what practical help is there? she really is fighting a losing battle and tonight the eldest resorted to emotional blackmail to get whatever he could if he promises not to go and live with his dad.....
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
Hello...why do you think the children are so disrespectful to their mom.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
because she is so ground down that she doesn't follow through on punishment threats so they get away with their behaviour
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Social services may or may not be able to help as the kids are the main problem. Social services works to protect the kids from abuse, neglect, harm, etc. Your friend should seek individual counseling to learn better parenting skills. She probably has very little self esteem which must be strengthened. Additionally, it would be a wise idea for the mom and the children to attend family therapy sessions. Your friend is not fighting a losing battle. She has the power to regain control of her children. She has to believe and she will achieve. She can contact her primary health care physician for a referral most likely to a mental health specialist/counselor/psychologist.

Hope this provides some direction. Have a great day.