How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 23 years old, my half sister is 17 years old. She is

This answer was rated:

I am 23 years old, my half sister is 17 years old. She is pregnant and her and our mother do not get along. I get along great with my sister. Is it possible for her to get some sort of social assistance and move out of the stressful and tense living situation she's currently in? If she is able to pay rent I would love to have her stay in the spare room currently available in my apartment, rather than having a stranger move in. I do not want to take custody of her. Is she old enough to decide to live with me? Can she get financial assistance since she is pregnant? I take her to prenatal classes and I have convinced her to seek counseling. Her baby cannot be taken away if she is living with me instead of mom, right?
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

Dear friend,

You are a wonderful sister for protecting your sister as you do, and as you plan to do.

The laws vary from province to provice, and may even differ in various disricts. The best source of information and guidance about the nuances of the law are from the social services organization that actually provides the financial assistance. If your mother won't allow your sister to move in with you, you might override this with a judge's order, or with the assisance of social services.

She should be able to get financial assistance, pre-natal care, and perhaps extra nourishment because she is pregant. She may also get a housing allowance which could help he pay for her room in your flat.

If she is legaly residing with you, with you as her guardian for the next several months, then no one else can have a say on the custody of the baby. If your mother is truly abusive to her (verbally or more), then the court will not want her to be in this environment.

If you cannot get the advice that you want (and you probably CAN), then seek the advice of an attorney as well.

Best wishes for your family. I wish her a safe birth and a positive resolution to this situation.

Warm regards,
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could you give me further assistance if I told you that we live in New Brunswick? Is custody really necessary in your opinion? My sister is not very mature because she didn't have anyone to learn from (she lived in the USA with mom for years, they recently moved back) and I cannot afford to care for care, thus the requirement of assistance. I don't want to separate mom from our lives, I just believe it would be in everyone's best interest if they did not live together, and she agrees.
Dear friend,

The best legal source for New Brunswick can be found at this website. You can also take a free 6 hour course in custody by dialing the toll free number found on the pages of this site.

Because everyone is in agreement, you should be able to make an agreement quite easily and inexpensively (if not for free). Your best bet is to follow the links on this site and talk to people who do these kinds of things every day in New Brunswick.

This site has self-help guides that you can download, as well as free legal forms that you can use.

This is a legal issue that is specific to New Brunswick and you can get most of the information that you are looking for.

As a psychotherapist, I commend you for your supportive role. You are doing the right thing and will make a tremendous difference in the life of your sister and in that of your new niece or nephew.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC and 2 other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you