How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father divorced his second wife, so my two little brothers

Resolved Question:

My father divorced his second wife, so my two little brothers from that marriage do not talk to dad anymore. His ex-wife set the kids against dad badly. Dad wants to talk to them but he lives in an other country. I'm the only link between them, and I need to talk to my little brother. But he is very touchy when it comes to that subject, how shall I approach him, without losing his trust and traumatise him even more?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
Hello...How old are your little brothers? About how old are you? Are you male or female? Thanks!!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My brothers are 17 and 13. I am concerned with the younger one. I am 23, female.
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for responding. All you can do at this point is let your brothers know that you love them and will always be there for them. If you keep on bringing up the issue of their dad, it will push them farther away. Your brothers are both teen agers and are in a very rocky stage of emotional development. When they are ready to talk about their dad, they will. You are sort of in the middle of the situation so you probably should lay low and let your dad be the initiator of contacts. Your dad can first try calling his sons and if that does not work try writing a letter. If the sons do not respond or if the mother never gives them the letter, then you can step in to intervene to find out why the brothers do not want to speak to dad. The brothers may need counseling from a third party who would be a neutral source. They may have repressed anger issues about the divorce and need intervention and coping strategies. Have a great day!
proexpert37 and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you