How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had primary custody of my grandson for 19 months dads

Resolved Question:

I have had primary custody of my grandson for 19 months dads in detached emotionally and physically she sees him maybe every 6 weeks and was locked up for three months and he had no contact during that time He is now almost 5 and he Becoming very hard headed. Talks constantly moves constantly. He has karate 3 days a week and speech 2 nights a week and he still goes. His mom is now out of jail I'm torn whether to return him to her since she was on drugs before jail, is jobless and skill less and moves around a lot. She has been complaining every now and then that she wants him. I'm sure I can legally retain custody but I wonder if the Behavior is due to the separation. He rarely asks for the mom but states he misses his dad. I'm so torn because I know the mom won't send him to school or continue his speech classes or other extra curriculum activities. When he does visit his mom he wants to come back. I just can't put my finger on the behavior. Today I even got report of hitting which is not his norm. I'm really worried should I have him seem a counselor he is only 4
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. He is definitely fine to see a counselor. It will not be a sit down discussion session as it would be with an adult. The counselor will probably use a technique called "play therapy". The child will seem like he is playing but the counselor will actually be trying to ascertain certain problems. Contact your grandson's pediatrician for a referral to a counselor. Thank you and have a great day.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will contact the pediatrician promptly TODAY. What should I do now regarding his living situation. I know the mom is not the best to raise him currently due to the outlined issues. Would it be more detrimental to move it back or to continue having the lost of both parents. Thats the rock and hard place I am currently at.
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.

What is best is to have your grandson be in the most loving and supportive environment....which is your home. His mother probably will not fulfill his basic needs all around. She can come visit and spend time with him though. However, her way of life does not seem conducive to raising a young child at this moment. You keep on doing your part as it is in the best interest of the child now.


Have a great day!!!

proexpert37 and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you