How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My adult son is a returning home son after a divorce and is

Customer Question

My adult son is a returning home son after a divorce and is also bring a 6 year old daughter to live with us. He has a drinking problem. I am concerned about enabling him. I don't want to hurt my grandaughter. He won't pick up his clothes and is determined to take late night snacks upstairs. I have tried not cleaning the messes up, but it bothers me. He pays no rent, but has no extra money. He works and pays his own bills. He has a house to clean up and sell in a bad area of town, but won't do it. He is good to his daughter and is a good father and nice to be around most of the time. What can I do to help the situation for both his family and mine. I know I need to set limits, but short of kicking to the street or a mouse infested house I am lost. I take care of his daughter during the day after kindergarden and have babysat her for 2 years and don't want to see her uprooted.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with your son. Your entire household is embarking on a new course in life. I would suggest a few sessions of family counseling without the 6 year old so that you can all learn coping strategies in dealing with living together. Your son may also still need help in addressing his problems with alcohol. He is an adult and a role model for his daughter but needs much counseling.

Have a great day.
proexpert37 and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Any particular counceling? The problem is getting him on board.
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
If you have a regular doctor, explain the situation to him/her and get a referral that way to a counselor or psychologist. You my need to go before your son attends.