Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

My grandaughter is 8 years old and her mother divorced her

My grandaughter is 8 years old and her mother divorced her father when she was 1. He saw her sometimes for a couple of years but treated her more like a tool to get at her mother. She has not seen or heard from him for virtually 4 years (his choice). She is now 8 and wants to know where he is and how come she doesn't see him. My daughter is at a loss at what to tell her. She knows she has to tell her something - but what??
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Tell her the truth. Basically her father does not want to be a part of her life and that the mother does not know where he is at.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

IS THAT ALL SHE SHOUD SAY.WHAT IF SHE ASKS WHY DOESN' HE WANT TO SEE ME?

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
It is ok to tell her "I don't know"
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

SHOULD MY DAUGHTER OFFER TO TRY AND CONTACT HIM - WHN IT FIRST HAPPENED SHE GOT MY GRANDDAUGHTER TO RING AND ASK HIM AND HE CUT OFF THE CALL FROM RINGING. WE JUST DON'T WANT HER TO FEEL UNLOVED.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Absolutely not. Your daughter's job is to protect her daughter. Subjecting her to a deadbeat father would do more harm then good.