How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I dont know whether you can answer this question, but I am

This answer was rated:

I don't know whether you can answer this question, but I am going to put it out there. I have a son who is about to turn 14. I am divorced from his mother for almost 10 years now. He also has a sister who is 17. I moved to another state last year and in a new amendment to our divorce settlement, agreed with my ex that in order for my son to have visitation with me at my new residence, we would have to undergo two sessions of "reconciliation" therapy. My son was/is seeing a therapist whom he is comfortable with and we had a teleconference and what I thought was a "reconciliation" session in which my son expressed no hesitation in coming to see me.

Now it seems that my ex has changed her direction and is claiming that my sons attending therapist cannot engage in reconciliation therapy, therefore the "session" I thought I had with no further sessions required is null and void. She is insisting that I see a therapist who was named in our agreement.

My question is:

Is "reconciliation" therapy a recognized form of therapy as I have not heard of it before and if so, does a "specialist" need to perform it? My father was a psychologist and I have never heard of this type of therapy before. Any further insight would be most appreciated.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

There may be someone, somewhere who claims another technique or approach, called reconciliation therapy, but there is no standard approach. Reconciliation, working out your differences, can be achieved by many means. Family therapists are suitable but so are any other qualified mental health practitioners.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is the therapist named in the agreement. Go along with it without argument (can't argue with the law or educate a judge very easily), and present yourself in the most positive light (a biker in a suit looks like a professor), and all looks well because your son wants to reconcile and spend time with you.

Best wishes,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you