Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

I am not sure if you all can help but I am definitely open

I am not sure if you all can help but I am definitely open to any advice. I had a 4yr old son that was born with a physical disability and a developmental disability and I am really stressed about whether or not I should allow him to start kindergarten this fall or not. Does anyone know if there are charities that help with learning classes, devices, etc.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,
I have a question ....
Are you asking about programs that would be instead of public school kindergarten?

Most children with disabilities start public school at age 3 with an IEP plan in place. The school provides a free and appropriate education and provides all the assistive technology that is required. The public school is generally best equipped to provide the special education needs.

Please let me know what the fears are about a public school program....

Please do not be upset if I cannot get back to you immediately. I will respond sometime tonight.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for replying and you can reply at your convenience. I understand a hetic schedule. I was thinking about a private school versus public school and which wouls be better. He does have a IEP plan in place. I have a meeting on May 18th with the IEP team and the school district, is there anything I should ask and do you think it's okay if I ask to meet with the aid that they may appoint to him?

The other question is do you know of a charity maybe that will help me fund some learning devices so I can keep him up to speed during the summer months until school starts? I am just trying everything I can think of. I want the best for him.

Hello and thank you for the additional information,
I have a strong bias (as you might be able to tell already) towards the public school programs. Unless the private school can meet his needs by providing the IEP goals and recommendations. It is an unusual private school that hires teachers of the caliber of special education teachers. You can definitely ask to meet the aid and it would be nice if the aid could attend the IEP meeting.

It is possible that your local Kiwanis Club or Rotary Club would fund the learning devices. BTW, I have had great luck buying Leap Pad systems on Craigslist for $25.00. I advertised that it was for a person with disabilities and many people were glad to help...one even donated her child's system.

I hope this helps and good luck as you develop your child's educational plan. Yiu sound like you are a great advocate for him.