How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bonnie Your Own Question
Bonnie, Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 2189
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Bonnie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If couple live together 14 years have 2 kids and never marry,

Customer Question

If couple live together 14 years have 2 kids and never marry, but father of child on birth cerificate does he have and parent rights if the couple splits up
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,
Sorry it took so long for this answer. My understanding is that a father has rights whether married to the mother or not. He needs to be "adjudicated" as the father in a paternity action in court (I think they use DNA testing). But, then, father has parenting rights and responsibilities (pay child support).

There are Family Law experts on this site that you can ask as well.