Parenting

Have Parenting Questions? Ask a Parenting Counselor for Answers

Parenting

My son is 2, I am a recent widow, my husband of 11 years passed

Customer Question
away unexpected 4 months ago...
My son is 2, I am a recent widow, my husband of 11 years passed away unexpected 4 months ago, my son had some immediate reactions then it passed, now it is starting to come out again, he is a little insecure, kind, loves routine, independent, has a weekly thing he obsesses over at day care and at home he carries around a toy hammer. latest thing is taking on and off his shoes and having to wear them.

When we see other dads, he stares at them and then later he says something about his dad and then is deep in thought, I mention him often as to where he is- up in the sky in heaven with the stars. I have pictures still around the house of him which is not ideal for me but did not want to change much yet.

I am selling my house and moving to where family is as it is just Brady and I in Chicago so I have no network or help here. I am afraid of what to expect when we move to a new house, new day care etc... I am struggling and need some advice.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Parenting
3/22/2011
Parenting Counselor: Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist

Have you tried a play therapist for him? You're asking how to help him correct?

no I have never heard of that. Would this help him? Where do I find one in my area and or should I wait until I move to start?

Play therapists are counselors who work with young children such as your son. They rely on tools such as narrative therapy and structured play therapy (they are trained and credentialed in this) You do not have to wait until you move (unless you will be moving shortly in the next month or so) If you would be relocating in the next few weeks, then it is better to wait only so he does not get to bond with the therapist and then have to leave. Your insurance company may let you know which ones are in your network or you may find out through the Association for Play Therapy which will show you who's registered in the area where you'd live. Make sure that the counselor is also experienced in grief and loss issues.

As far as getting help for yourself, don't discount counseling. If that therapist did not work for you, find another. There are also online support grief groups as well as you may be able to find some in your area by calling the United Way toll free # XXXXX

There is also online counseling via sites such as metanoia.org or liveperson.com

Self Hypnosis, Overcome Grief and Loss Hypnotherapy CD - Audio CD by Rachael Eccles

The Other Side of Sadness: What the New Science of Bereavement Tells Us About Life After Loss by George A. Bonanno (Paperback)

Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist