proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My 13-year--old granddaughter recently told me a secret about

Customer Question

My 13-year--old granddaughter recently told me a secret about a girl who has been her good friend since they were little. This school year her friend has changed, being more interested in boys and experimenting with drugs and alcohol. She also just recently told my granddaughter that she had sex with an older boy at school. Rumors are now being spread through school and her friend has convinced her parents that the other girls are mean and are out ot get her and has even convinced her parents that she would like to switch schools. My husband and I have known the friend's parents for years and have considered them our friends. Should I tell my friend what her daughter is really involved in even though my granddaughter told me in confidence?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
If your granddaughter told you in confidence knowing that you are friends with the girl's parents, she should assume that you might mention it to the parents. If you plan to do so, tell your granddaughter that you are going to tell them. Open and honest communication is the best policy. Maybe telling the parents will protect the safety and overall well being of the daughter before something bad happens.