How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just found out that my son is smoking pot. He just turned 18, b

Resolved Question:

I just found out that my son is smoking pot. He just turned 18, but I found a videotape of him smoking when he was 16. He just got into college on a scholarship. For the past two years his personal changed and I thought it was just growing pains. I don't know how to handle this. He is supposed to come home for the summer. He starts school again in Sept. I am a single mom, his father shows up to visit him and calls him but he is of no help. What do I do to save my son from continuing smoking pot and who knows what else? I had a drug problem when I was young up until my late 20s. I often spoke to him about the dangers. I don't know what to do or how to help him, or if I should? By the way, the person who gave him pot, and partially seen on the video, was a neighbor friend of his who was 19 at the time, my son was 16. what should I do with the video?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.

Hello...thank you for using Just Answer. It probably was difficult that you confronted your son about his pot usage but very admirable that you did. Your best bet is to keep the lines of communication open as well as honest between you and your son as well as follow through on any consequences that you have told him. The residing director of the Teen Mania Ministries may need to become a mentor for your son especially if he is someone that your son can trust. If there is any way possible, continue to have that director keep in contact with your son to guide him on the right track....staying away from pot. You keep doing your part and hopefully the director can assist as well. Once your son stays away from pot, maybe he can even give testimonies to other teens to assist them. What an awesome ministry that would be!!! Your son is now an adult but if he is still living under the roof of your house, he needs to abide by the house rules.

You may also try counseling for your son from another source to get a second opinion and more intervention strategies.

If more advice is needed, just ask. Thank you and have a great day.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What should I do with the video? Do I turn it in to the police with regard to his friend being of age and giving pot to a minor?
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.

Since the other person was of age and may still be giving minors access to drugs, the video could be used as evidence against him if charges have or will be pressed. You can give the video to the police and then they will decide what course of action to take.

proexpert37 and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you