How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bonnie Your Own Question
Bonnie, Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 2189
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Bonnie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 8 yr old granddaughter who constantly gives her parents

Resolved Question:

I have a 8 yr old granddaughter who constantly gives her parents a hard time.
She wants no parts of socializing with her friends; wants to wear the the same outfit although a full closet of other clothing sits in her closet. Prefers to wear footed pjs all day and literally "screams" & blocks out any correction. 2 brother ages 5 & 3; she wants to be an only child. Her only enjoyment is to sit and watch toodler shows on TV. Barring her from TV as punishment doesn't work. She is on meds (PRN) for ADD. I feel its much more than ADD. As a grandparent I feel she needs to be seen by a specialist for deep depression or anxiety. Please help as my Son & his wife are at their wits end.

Thank you.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,
From what you have said so far, I agree that this is more that ADD. Can you say a little more about her grades and behaviors at school? Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Her grades are very good for a 2nd grader. Gram's knowledge is that she does well, but doesn't want to join in with recess. May just sit and watch others.
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Hello again,

Thanks for the additional information. The other diagnosis that involves social delay and needing things to be the same or having trouble wearing certain texture clothing is Asperger Syndrome (high-functioning autism) and/or Sensory Integration Disorder.

They should start with a complete psychological evaluation or neuropsychological evaluation to pinpoint what exactly is going on and for treatment recommendations. The best place to get this evaluation is at a large medical center such as a Children's Hospital but sometimes there are private practitioners who do this. (keywords: pediatric psychologist or pediatric neuropsychologist).

The expert in Sensory Integration Disorder or Sensory Processing Disorder is a pediatric occupational therapist. This evaluation should be done in addition to the above.

The pediatrician may be helpful in finding these services in your area. The suggestions that will be made after such evaluations will be very helpful in understanding and managing her behaviors.
Bonnie and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you