Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

Question about my 6 yr old behavior. She flies into rages over

Question about my 6 yr old behavior. She flies into rages over nothing, has done this for as long as I can rememeber. When she does, nothing can stop her fits and she is very mean. She will hit, scratch, scream, yell also provoke her 8 yr old sister, who has ADHD and is prone to meltdowns herself! Nothing has changed lately, she is doing well in school, but this is more than just being spoiled!
Hello...Has your daughter exhibited any signs of ADHD like her sister? How is her behavior at school?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your reply! She seems like she has sooo much energy and cant calm down sometimes, but her focus seems fine. At school I think she's doing fine, she could read and write before she started Kindergarten. She does talk about arguing with her friends, but I havent heard anything from her teacher, and when in Kindergarten I wonder how much arguing it actually is!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

is anyone here?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
help
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is anybody online tonight?
Computer was down. Another expert will have access to the question.
Since her sister has ADHD, I would have her tested as well. Not all children present the same symptoms for ADHD so it might be a good idea to get her tested. It does not necessarily have to do only with focus.
I'm sure you know this already because you have one daughter with ADHD but the other one might be presenting with other symptoms.

INATTENTION
  • difficulty paying attention to details and tendency to make careless mistakes in school or other activities; producing work that is often messy and careless
  • easily distracted by irrelevant stimuli and frequently interrupting ongoing tasks to attend to trivial noises or events that are usually ignored by others
  • inability to sustain attention on tasks or activities
  • difficulty finishing lwork or paperwork or performing tasks that require concentration
  • frequent shifts from one uncompleted activity to another
  • procrastination
  • disorganized work habits
  • forgetfulness in daily activities (for example, missing appointments, forgetting to bring lunch)
  • failure to complete tasks such as appointments or chores
  • frequent shifts in conversation, not listening to others, not keeping one's mind on conversations, and not following details or rules of activities in social situations

HYPERACTIVITY

• fidgeting, squirming when seated
  • getting up frequently to walk or move around
  • general restlessness
  • having difficulty doing things quietly or engaging in quiet leisure activities
  • being always on the go
  • often talking excessively
IMPULSIVITY
  • impatience
  • difficulty delaying responses
  • blurting out responses before the other has finished talking
  • difficulty awaiting one's turn
  • frequently interrupting or intruding on others to the point of causing problems in social or work settings
  • initiating conversations at inappropriate times
HYPERFOCUS is another phenomenon that can occur with ADD/ADHD. While you’re probably aware that people have trouble focusing on tasks that aren’t interesting to them, you may not know that there’s another side: a tendency to become completely absorbed in tasks that are stimulating and rewarding, to the exclusion of everything else. This paradoxical symptom is called hyperfocus.

DISORGANIZATION AND FORGETFULNESS
  • poor organizational skills (home, office, desk, or car is extremely messy and cluttered)
  • tendency to procrastinate
  • trouble starting and finishing projects
  • chronic lateness
  • frequently forgetting appointments, commitments, and deadlines
  • constantly losing or misplacing things (keys, wallet, phone, documents, bills)
  • underestimating the time it will take you to complete tasks
People with ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder - the old term ADD is not officially used in the DSM-IV TR psychiatric manual of disorders) are sometimes at risk for depression, hence your attempted suicide, if indeed your symptoms match the above symptoms (or some of them).

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is rage a symptom of ADHD also? She has out of control fits that cant be calmed down. Its pretty constant now. Then she can turn around and be so sweet! Im not sure exactly whats going on, but something is!
It can be but it is very important that you have her tested. This way you will know what's happening and furthermore be given a treatment plan.
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience: PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy