proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My 15 year-old daughter jokingly gropes the breasts of her

Customer Question

My 15 year-old daughter jokingly gropes the breasts of her mother and friends. It does not appear sexual, but I find it extremely inappropriate. My wife, however, doesn't think so. Should I just drop it or should I make my daughter stop?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
Have you asked your daughter why she performs such an action? Has she always carried on in this manner?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She says she thinks its funny to make people uncomfortable. She has always had this kind of sense of humor.
The actions of your daughter may not be funny to others in making them feel uncomfortable. Tell her that she needs to be more mature and respect other individuals' personal space. If she refuses to cease in her actions, maybe there are more underlying reasons why she enjoys such behavior and counseling could uncover those issues.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you find it to be inappropriate per se? My wife just pushes her hands away but otherwise doesn't want to speak to her about it because she says she is just joking.

Her friends laugh, but don't get angry.

I was raised with just brothers and see this as inappropriate behavior that should be stopped now.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
I was raised with all sisters and this is very inappropriate behavior. A a female myself, I would not even think about grabbing my mother's or sisters' chests. Additionally, I would feel very uncomfortable if one of my sisters grabbed me in such a manner. You are very right. It is not a normal action to do!!!