How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rossi Your Own Question
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 4627
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Dr. Rossi is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My eleven year old grandson has left his mother (my daughter

This answer was rated:

My eleven year old grandson has left his mother (my daughter and his stepfather) and gone to live with his father and his family. It was a bad leave. The boy felt rejected, yet my daughter had problems getting his to accept responsibility in the home. He suffers from adhd and anxiety. My daughter is devastated and certainly my heart is broken. We are now forced to accept this and yet I think I'm going through grief. The boy will still come over everyweek and my 14 year old granddaughter and 20 month old granddaughter are still with my daughter, but I helped raise the two older kids when the parents seperated and I am really angry. Should I act as if I am not affected? My husband and I offered for him to stay with us to resolve issues, but he left us too.



Even if you're affected and angry, you would have to figure out who would that affect and what outcome it would serve you. Anger is not a pleasant feeling and you're hurting by experiencing it longer than needed.

What had transpired is indeed disappointing, yet, you do not have full control of what others do including him and your daughter.

He has free will as anyone else, and at times it is more healing to accept that (he would feel heard and respected) If he is keeping in touch with you, then you can treat him lovingly like you have. He must be figuring things out himself if he is going to counseling and growth takes time.

Dr. Rossi and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you