How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son (31), his wife and three little girls are living with

Customer Question

My son (31), his wife and three little girls are living with my husband and me. They have been living with us for three months. My son and his wife were on prescription drugs and have been clean for over a year. My son spent 6 months in jail because of writing bad checks. He has several shoplifting charges and car burglary. He is constantly stealing things from us, $20, a handful of change, some copper wiring, a generator, gas, and on and on. He is suffering from depression. He has been trying to get a job for over a year now, since he got out of jail, but has not had any success. His wife will work for a while, then quit, then get another job for a month and quit. My son and his wife help out around the house alot and are great to have around - except for the stealing. Most of the time I don't know for sure my son stole the items, but it just keeps happening. I am just getting tired of it. What do I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
Hello my friend...There are three options that are available. 1. Report your son to the police for stealing your property but since he lives with you and already has run ins with the law, then this may not be the most viable option. 2. Seek family therapy where you all can sit down and discuss the issues and acquire coping strategies. 3. Continue talking to your son about the issue and casually suggest that he may need to find another place to live if he cannot respect the rules of the house.