How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Shirley Schaye Your Own Question
Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1673
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Dr. Shirley Schaye is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 17 weeks pregnant with my ex boyfriends baby. When i told

This answer was rated:

I am 17 weeks pregnant with my ex boyfriends baby. When i told him i was pregnant he left the scene and hasn't offered any financial support to buy anything. His name isn't going to be on the birth certificate as my parents will be supporting me and the baby. I will not be claiming any benifits from the state at all. I had just recently found out his parents openly smoke dope . The family is a mess the boyfriend lives with his mother and her boyfriend and their 3 other children - he calls himself the surname of the mothers boyfriend but he is not his stepfather . The Ex Boyfriends Mothers partner - his own stepfather abused his own children and was jailed a number of years ago . i don't want my baby to have anything to do with this family or the ex boyfriend . He has said he's going to force me to have a dna test so he can get access to this baby . Can he ?
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. If he gets tested for DNA, he may very well be able to have access to the baby if it turns out that he is the biological father. You might be able to do something though if you could find some way to have it documented that your ex lives with his family who smoke dope.

I'll pause here and await your response.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question, if you have not yet received one or have her elaborate on the answer you have already received.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert,or would like to continue with this chat use the box below. REPLY: Dr. Shirley Schaye

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What i want to know is can he force me to take a DNA test if i don't put his name on the birth certificate i live in Scotland .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
If he gets a lawyer,the courts can force the situation even if you don't put his name on the birth certificate. The issue is not forcing you to take a DNA test. The issue is he would have to take a DNA test and so would the baby to establish if he is the father. It will be pretty clear that you are the mother if you give birth in the hospital, there will be proof that you are the mother. The burden of proof is in whether he is the father.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So if i refuse to give a dna from the baby what then ? What rights does he have to seeing this baby if he's walked away wanting nothing to do with me and not paying for anything for the baby .... And as for the people he's living with paedofile and dope smokers does that not account for anything ? if the worst came to it and i was foced into letting him see the baby can it be at my discretion and in MY home .
Yes, I already said that you if you can prove that his family are dope users you probably will be able to only allow him to visit the baby in your home. Document eveything you can so that you can have it the way you want. No judge will give him permission to have him in a home like you are describing. Always document everything.
The fact that he's walked away and does not pay for anything bodes well for you.
The courts will not look favourably upon him for this. Don't tell him this. Let him find out through the courts telling him, otherwise, he'll start giving you money and getting involved. If you don't want him involved let him continue as he has. He will be hurting himself.
Dr. Shirley Schaye and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you