Parenting

Have Parenting Questions? Ask a Parenting Counselor for Answers

Parenting

I have an 8yr old daughter and its been about 4 months that

Customer Question
she won't sleep in her...
I have an 8yr old daughter and its been about 4 months that she won't sleep in her room. It seems like she is affraid of being alone, she panicks when she hears any little niose, even if we are in the same room. When its time to go to bed, we let her fall asleep in our bed then pass her over to her bed. Sometimes she is ok n sometimes she just freaks out crying please dnt, I want to stay here. We have asked her many times, what's wrong? What are you affraid of? And she just says I don't know.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Parenting
2/4/2011
Parenting Counselor: Teacher Editor, Teacher replied 6 years ago
Teacher Editor

Linda Roch :

Hello and welcome! If you have any other questions, please let me know or please click Accept.

Linda Roch :

Hello, there are many different reasons that your daughter may be having problems sleeping in her own room.

Linda Roch :

There are a few things you can do to try to see what the issue you is and then a few things you can do to remedy the situation and get her sleeping in her bed again.

Linda Roch :

You can get her to paint a picture of her room at night or your house at night to see if there is anything in the picture you can see that may bother you.

Linda Roch :

You can also set up a play between her dolls or stuffed animals and play out dinnertime.

Linda Roch :

Then, when it comes time to go to sleep, talk through the dolls to see if you can get her to tell you through her toys what is wrong.

Linda Roch :

Even if this doesn't get to the bottom of the situation, you can give your daughter the tools she needs to be able to sleep in her own room.

Linda Roch :

A flashlight could work that she can turn on or a nightlight that is fairly large.

Linda Roch :

A tape of your voice recording her favorite book that she can turn on at any time.

Linda Roch :

A monster spray of water she can use if she gets scared.

Linda Roch :

A stuffed animal to sleep with that is as big as her and maybe as you so that she feels like you are there.

Linda Roch :

Ask her for suggestions and as much as possible make sure she sleeps in her own bed, even if you have to start off sleeping with her.

Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Teacher