How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bonnie Your Own Question
Bonnie, Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 2189
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Bonnie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to try and get partial custody of my little girl. Her

Resolved Question:

I want to try and get partial custody of my little girl. Her mother, my ex girlfriend has custody of her and will not let me see her without my parents being there. The situation is that we dated for only a few months and she got pregnant. We broke up and she found out she was pregnant. At that time I was freaked out by it and told her maybe she should get an abortion. I also didn't know if she was mine because she was friends with another guy and I wasn't sure if it could be his. She had my little girl and contacted me to let me know but said that I would never be her daddy. Needless to say she married the guy that was her friend. I spend time with her when my parents get her on a weekend but her mother and step-dad will not let me take her by myself. I know I made a mistake from the beginning but I love my daughter and I want to be able to pick her up without my parents having to be there. I want to get partial custody of her and need to know how I go about doing that. Thanks!
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting JA with your question,

You can stand up for your parental rights but you need to do it in court. It is best to go to court with an attorney who specializes in child custody cases. They are called Family Law attorneys. You may be able to find one (in the yellow pages) who specializes in FATHERS rights. There is no good way to do this without an attorney so it is costly.

You can call the Family Court in your County for more information on the process of petitioning for custody. Good luck....
Bonnie and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you