Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

Im dating a man who has 18 and 21 yr old that are spoilt and

I'm dating a man who has 18 and 21 yr old that are spoilt and over indulged how do I deal with that
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for consulting JA,
It is unlikely that the relationship between BF and his children will change much at this point even if it has negative aspects. So first thing to do, is to accept that fact.

Then, use positive self-talk to stop yourself from talking bad about his kids. For instance, I can deal with this even though I disagree. We can agree to disagree about this. His indulgence toward his children does not mean he loves me less. He is a giving person and this is a trait I love about him.

All of these statements may not work for you but pick those which do, write them on a 3x5 note card and keep them close to you. Read them when your having trouble dealing or fighting the impulse to "talk bad" .

Hope this helps and good luck.