How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am a single mother , never married to my sons father. In

Resolved Question:

i am a single mother , never married to my sons father. In which his father left the household when my son was 10 months. His father has stayed in contact with my son, 8 hours a week, and has paid child support. this past month was the first time his father went to a parent teacher confrence. My son is now ten years old. I have recently moved to an adjacent state two hourse away. I kept my son at my parents house to finish out the school year. Then i want to move him here, but now his father is saying i cant.....and if i decide to get him for the weekend, his father will be calling the police to say i kidnapped him. there was never any kind of custody papers. What are my options......?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.

Your first option is to try and work things out amicably with your son's father with respectful conversations. It sounds like...from just what you have briefly mentioned...that your son's father may give you some resistance. In order to avoid any miscommunication as to when visitations are to occur, you should obtain the advice of a family law attorney, go to court, and have everything written out as to what should be occurring such as the visitation schedule. That way, your son's father must abide by court appointed orders. This is a very touchy situation but keep the best interest of your son in the forefront.


Hope this has helped. PLease ACCEPT.

Edited by Erica.13 on 12/16/2010 at 8:37 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
totally understand what you are saying ...... which i will do . But as of right now , what rites do i have to bring my son to live with me ?
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
You have the right to have your child live with you but your son's dad must be aware of where the child is. He can say that it is kidnapping if you take your son to a place to live without his knowledge. Since nothing is legally in writing, just keep you ex abreast of what you are doing with your son. If your ex is in disagreement and makes threats, then tell him that he can begin legal proceedings to have a more formal visitation schedule established. But since you have been the primary caregiver, so far...continue with your actions. If you need further assistance, you can always ask experts in the legal field on this site since this is a Parenting category. Thanks and have a great day.
proexpert37 and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you