proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My ex and I have a somewhat strained relationship. She recently

My ex and I have a somewhat strained relationship. She recently married a college friend of mine whose wife died approximately 10 years ago after a short marriage. There were no children from his marriage. What concerns me is that he has maintained a relationship with his first wife's parents (she was an only child), and now is introducing them to my children. This would not be a problem, but they are buying my children extravagant gifts ($100 plus each) for christmas, birthdays, etc. I feel they are trying to buy grandchildren, and when I requested that they give only token "friend" type gifts, I was told it was none of my business. To exacerbate the issue, my parents live 2000 miles away, while this family lives fairly nearby. Am I right to be concerned? Any advice on how to handle this?
Unfortunately, you really have very little control over the actions of your ex's husband's "family". You cannot control another person's actions. You can only control your reactions to their actions. Think about this and flip the script. What if the "grandparents" were treating your children in an extremely negative manner? Which behavior would you prefer be exhibited toward your children? For now, that's the way you have to look at it no matter how painful and uncomfortable that it may seem.