Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

How can I get my 10 year old daughter to have a neater room

How can I get my 10 year old daughter to have a neater room? Yelling doesn't work, nor does taking away her computer, etc.
Try to do this in stages:
Start with making it a joint project with the 2 of you. Teach her this strategy:
  • make the bed
  • put everything from the floor, dresser, desk on the bed
  • take one thing off bed at a time and either (put it away, throw it away or give it away)
Once she has learned the strategy well, have her do steps one and two by herself and then you come into help with step 3 (usually the most overwhelming);

Last, if she she does the 3 steps by herself, give her the reward of time with you to do something fun (I.e., play a board game and have fun together). If she asks for help instead of special time together, that's OK too.

Find ways to make the time together enjoyable. Good luck!! Keep it neat by doing it often.

Edited by Bonnie on 11/25/2010 at 5:15 AM EST