How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 19 and likes to go out drinking at the weekend. The

Resolved Question:

My son is 19 and likes to go out drinking at the weekend. The problem I am having with him is that when he drinks too much he gets into trouble and has just received a police caution. He then gets very angry and upset with himself stating that his life is "shit" and he wants to get out of England. I have tried to explain to him that he is not going to be accepted anywhere else if he gets a police record and that instead of looking at what he hasnt got to look at what he has got. He has good GCSE's, a job, his liscence and a lovely girlfriend and a family that loves him but he has to understand that its the drink thats the problem and it acts as a depresant. He says that he wont do it again but then a few weeks later he does. I am so worried that he is going to ruin his life and end up in serious trouble or harming himself. I have asked him to go with me to the doctors but he refused. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.



If your son refuse to go to the doctor, then you need to go without him. He will end up allowing his drinking problems to ruin his life. You need to seek professional assistance from a neutral source like a psychologist or a family therapist who can provide you with intervention and coping strategies in dealing with the problems of your adult son. It is hard to change another your son...but we can change ourselves and our reactions to others' behavior. Seek help for yourself so that you can feel more comfortable in dealing with the situation. I wish you the best of luck.


PLease ACCEPT if this has helped. Have a great day!!!

proexpert37 and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you