How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 19 year old moved out a week ago. What kind of contract

Customer Question

My 19 year old moved out a week ago. What kind of contract can we have her signed if she moves back in?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
Well, she is legally an adult but is also your house. Are you requesting a legal contract or just a contract that you create so that she will abide by the house rules?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. To make a short story short. We took the car and phone from her since we pay for them. Now she wants to talk and the things she wants is the car title, phone and funds that were in her bank account, which there were not her funds to begin with. Would we need a legal contract or just a contract for her to abide by I'm not sure. What are our options.


Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.

If your daughter moves back in and she is paying rent so to speak, then you can have her sign a renter's contract and she must abide by all of the rules and stipulations in the contract. If she is moving back in the house and you would rather not treat her as a renter with the strict rules, then you can create your own set of house rules and regulations with the necessary consequences that must be followed through with if she slips up. There is a fine line between both routes. It is up to you which path to take. You should also consider your daughter's personality, financial status, etc...


I just read your second reply. You do not need a legal contract. Just make an informal one. She needs to abide by your house rules. You are still her parents and she must follow the rules of the house or find another place to live. Do not give her the title to the car. She is not paying for it. It sounds like your daughter needs to become more responsible and receptive to your ideas as a parent. Maybe you can help her become a more responsible adult if she is back at home. I hope that she is in school or at least working!!!


If this has helped, please ACCEPT.

Edited by Erica.13 on 10/18/2010 at 2:51 PM EST
proexpert37 and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She is going to school and is working a part-time job. She just feels we don't let her live her life the way she wants to. She also has been mentally and physically abusing her younger sister because she feels we give her sister more privileges and attention. What can you suggest we do if she does return back home regarding this behavior? Please advise.

Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
I would suggest that if she does return home and before she actually does, that you seek some professional counseling from a neutral source like a family therapist or psychologist. You are going to need some coping and intervention strategies in dealing with your adult child and the problems that may arise. Your daughter may need counseling as well but it may be difficult to persuade her to attend the sessions. If you have health insurance, contact the customer service representatives and they can steer you in the proper direction. It is important to get a strong hold on the situation and stay in control.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you again for your replies and I will look into your suggestions very carefully.
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
You are very welcome!!! Have a great day!!!!