Parenting

Have Parenting Questions? Ask a Parenting Counselor for Answers

Parenting

I would like some advice on my daughter who is 4 yrs. We have

I would like some...
I would like some advice on my daughter who is 4 yrs. We have recently lot my nan, who my daughter was very close too, and she has been spilt up with her best friend at school for a bit. All at about the same time. 5 wks on she starts having accidents at night with toileting and what troubles me most is that she is having night terrors. Is there anything I can do to help her?
10/15/2010
proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach

Are you asking for assistance on how to deal with the losses or bed wetting or both? Let me know.

Edited by Erica.13 on 10/15/2010 at 1:08 PM EST
I need to some advice on how to deal with/ stop the night terrors more than anything. I think the bed wetting will stop once things settle. Those upsets are what I think are the possible triggers for them.

When putting your daughter to bed at night, make sure that the environment is very comfortable and relaxed. You may want to stay in the room with her for a while if she states that she is afraid. Leave immediately when she is almost asleep or asleep. Do not sleep in the same bed with her. This will be an extremely difficult habit to break. Additionally, you may want to read her a bedtime story..something really happy and exciting like one of the Disney stories. Your daughter needs to have as many positive thoughts in her mind before she goes to sleep. Tell her that you love her constantly around bedtime. You can even have her draw a picture of something fun that she likes to do. The purpose of all of these activities is to relieve her of any negative sensations that she may be experiencing. If the night terrors become worse and she begins to wake up in a state of panic and anxiety, then I would suggest a visit to her pediatrician. There may be underlying causes.

I hope that this has helped. If so, please ACCEPT. Have a great day and a wonderful weekend!!!

proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Thanks for all that great advice. Unfortunately it is all the things that I have done on a nightly basis since she was about 1 1/2 yrs. We sing songs of loving each other and being a happy family. We have a very positive relationship. I think everything that is affecting her is very strong and over powers her subconsious mind.
Ok if I can't provent it then have you any advice on how I can calm her when they happen? It took me over 1hr to calm her last night. She was just terrified. And it scared me.
Thanks again I will keep trying to make bed time positive as well as any other advice you can give.

If she is truly having a night terror, do not awaken her. Unless she is in danger of physically hurting herself, do not physically comfort her. Just speak to her calmly. Wait for the storm to pass. No one really knows what causes night terrors and there is no definite way to prevent them. Make sure that she is on a regular sleep schedule and is getting enough rest. Night terrors do not mean that your daughter has a psychological problem. She may be suffering from sleep problems like erratic sleep, insufficient sleep, or even sleep apnea. You may want to contact her pediatrician if this continues.

I hope I have helped!!!

Thanks for your advice I have just learnt something new. I didn't realise you shouldn't wake them. I will try calming her will she sleeps next time.
I have tried accepting your answer but came up with a message saying no question to be accepted and to e-mail just answer which I have done. I have asked them to sort the problem and pay you. Thanks again you really know what your talking about. I will get her checked out if it doesn't settle.
I sent a message to the moderators saying that you were having trouble accepting the question.
proexpert37
proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach