How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bonnie Your Own Question
Bonnie, Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 2189
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Bonnie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter had a child at the start of the year and was unsure

Resolved Question:

My daughter had a child at the start of the year and was unsure who the father was. We have informally deduced who the father is and the child is now 9 months old and there is no formal access arrangements in place just a verbal one.
The agreement stands that my daughter has her son 1 week and the father 1 week so its 50/50. My daughter has never been happy with this arrangement and the baby I feel is too young to be bandied around like an object. My daughter does not object to the father seeing the baby but wants him to have the baby only every second weekend Thursday to sunday. The father is not wanting to make any conssesions at all and threatens my daughter that he will go to the courts and make her give him the baby as a 50/50 shared custody.

With a child so young and not in the best interest of the child can the father do this?
Thank you.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Yes he can try this but the courts may not grant it. If an expert will say that it is not in the child's best interest, chances are the court will not grant 50/50. This is a very costly process. There is no good research but some child psychologist feel that a child should sleep in the same bed until about 12-18 months.

I think there is a NZ Family Law expert on JA you might want to consult as well.
Bonnie and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you