How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going through a divorce and have a six yr old and eleven

Resolved Question:

I am going through a divorce and have a six yr old and eleven yr old son. My youngest son has become just out of control. He will not mind and is very disrespectful. I don't know how to change bad habits that I have started with my parenting. What are some techniques that I can use to modify his behavior?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 7 years ago.
He needs to be put on a behavior contract which will draw more attention to his positive behavior. Of course he still needs to be told about inappropriate behavior. This is how a behavior contract would work. List the days for the week for the month....or you can just use a calendar...but it needs to be child friendly. If he has a good day without any problems, he would receive a sticker of some sort that he likes... on that day. If he has a bad day, he gets nothing. After let's say..five stickers...he gets a treat. Nothing too expensive though If this seems to be working, after a month or so, bump up the stickers to 10. Behavior contracts really do work!!!! However, if his behavior is completely out of control and he becomes very aggressive, violent, and/or hostile toward you, I would suggest that you seek professional help from a certified family counselor or psychologist. If you have health insurance, call the customer service representatives and they can steer you in the right direction. You and your son may need a neutral person to discuss your feelings with.
proexpert37 and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you