How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bonnie Your Own Question
Bonnie, Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 2189
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Bonnie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

HiI am from india. And I have 2 words in my surname. But

Resolved Question:

<p>Hi I am from india. And I have 2 words in my surname or last nam (in indian passport of mine)e . But I want to put only one word among these two words surname as my daughter's surname after she will born here in US,. I just want to know that Do I need to take any legal steps for this? Could you please answer this? </p><p> </p>
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Since she will be born in the US, she is a US citizen. In the hospital you will be asked to give the information to complete the birth certificate by a person who specializes in completing this form correctly. At that time, you can give the baby any name you desire. No other legal steps are required. However, if you want to change anything after the birth certificate is complete, you must file papers with the courts. Then it becomes a legal matter and needs the consult of an attorney.
Bonnie and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you