How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bonnie Your Own Question
Bonnie, Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 2189
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Bonnie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother is a 24 year old disabled adult. Our mother had

Resolved Question:

My brother is a 24 year old disabled adult. Our mother had guardianship of him and was listed as payee on his SSI. She recently passed away. How do I become his legal gaurdian?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
I am so sorry for your loss. You can get the payee changed soon by contacting the social security office (you may have known that). To change the guardianship, you will need to petition the courts and obtain the assistance of an attorney who specializes in guardianship issues. If you can find the attorney that assisted your mother, a simple call to him/her may be enough to file the changes without too much effort.
Please let me know if I have missed the intent of your question.

Good luck.
Bonnie and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you