Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.
19260254

My husband and I are getting a divorce. We have not lived

My husband and I are getting a divorce. We have not lived in the same home since our daughter was 9 weeks old. She sees him (and his mistress) on a weekly basis (9 hour visits she does not spend the night and has never). She is 2 years old (28 months to be exact). Recently while giving her baths she has been imitating a man urinating. There's no possible way she would see that in our living situation therefore the only place she could see that would be with him. Is it okay that she sees this?

Good Evening,

If you do not suspect any sort of abuse, her observing him urinate is not that uncommon.

You have done well ignoring the behavior for now (you do not want to feed into it or rouse her anxiety by shaming her making her feel guilty) She may have also seen a boy her age doing this at some place (playground, park, etc)

At this age you can start teaching her about good touch and bad touch and how body parts differ in each gender.

Amazing You!: Getting Smart About Your Private Parts by Gail Saltz, et al. (Paperback - Jan. 31, 2008)