Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Experience:  Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children
14832673

Hi, I am the father of a 5 year old girl in Australia and have

Customer Question

Hi, I am the father of a 5 year old girl in Australia and have been seperated from her mother for two years.When we split we were comfortable to work together on when i had her,and how i would contribute financially.
For the past 12 months she has been in a same sex relationship with a woman who has slowly dragged her away from her family and subsequently is making things very difficult.I have suggested we enter into a parenting plan,yet she insists on signing nothing and will only enter into a verbal agreement and only if her new partner is a part of the discussion also.
I have no interest in this,and was wondering what options were best for me and in the best interests of my daughter.
Thanks,Glenn
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome, It is very difficult to get a person to cooperate when there is someone else contributing or telling them how to respond to you. If things were easily managed before and have changed so that you are being denied any input you may have to resort to legal means. Keep everything you try and have tried written down, a journal. I would suggest you write down a plan and present it to her mom and see how it's received. If she declines your suggestions then you really have no recourse but a legal intervention. It's best if you two could work it out since your child may now be placed in the middle of this situation that isn't pleasant ,but if that is the only way to get what you deserve in terms of time and finances then you have to unfortunately go that route.
Please click accept and leave feedback.