How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. G. Your Own Question
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1520
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Dr. G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has been living with me (his father) since his mom and

Resolved Question:

My son has been living with me (his father) since his mom and I split. She has him one night a week and often doesn't show up to get him. I found a good job out of state. We were never married and have no court order of any kind. My friends and family tell me I'm perfectly fine to move. I don't know the custody laws and want to make sure I wouldn't break any by moving out of state.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
As long as there is no court order then you would be fine. No legal obligations to uphold on your part. She can try to take you to court so if I were you I would do the move soon so that she does not cause any problems for you.
Dr. G. and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you