Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced, Board Certified practicing Pediatrician experienced in common parenting issues.
239748

I have a concern for my son. I caught him smoke weed in the

Customer Question

I have a concern for my son. I caught him smoke weed in the past and I thought the problem is solved but lately I caught him smoking. Should I be concern?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 7 years ago.
Smoking weed/ marijuana is a cause of concern, but not something that needs to be dealt very harshly.
It would be ideal if you discussed the health consequences of weed (marijuana) with your son in an open and transparent manner.
These include messing up school grades, short term memory loss, increased propensity for casual sex, and problems in driving, rare long term health issues etc.
Other than this, you need to remember that while marijuana is mildly addictive, it is for most people not likely to lead to long term addiction to harder drugs like cocaine.
I would recommend that you read the following couple of links and then talk to your son.
If needed professional help can be taken too
http://www.nida.nih.gov/MarijBroch/Marijteens.html

http://www.perkel.com/politics/issues/pot.htm
http://www.methodsofhealing.com/the-effects-of-smoking-weed/
While abuse of any medicine is bad and leads to side-effects, an occasional puff of Marijuana is unlikely to come in this category,
Careful watching, and helping if this comes to the stage of addiction/ affects daily activity / social circle would be appropriate,
Warm regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have an other concern I find a small white bottle in his draw. Inside the bottle is orange liquid.
I can really tell what it is? Do you think I should test it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have an other concern to ask you. I find a small bottle of liquid n his draw. Inside the bottle is
an orange liquid. I can really smell it. Do you have any idea I am talking about?
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 7 years ago.
This would need to be checked out by tests since other than Liquid Oxycontin (narcotic pain killer - can be orange liquid) I am unable to think of any other drug of abuse in this situation.
Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I hope you have patient with me. Are you saying Liquid Oxycontin is a narcotic pain killer?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are you saying there is Liquid Oxycontin is a narcotic pain killer?
don't you need to have prescription for it?
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 7 years ago.
I am saying that most orange liquids would be not containing any drugs with addictive potential.
The only one that I can think that may be addictive potential (& yes prescription only) would be liquid oxycontin.
I am not saying that this is what it is, just that if there is a suspicion you would need to get it checked.
Regards