How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1768
Experience:  Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has a 16 yr. old friend with paranoid parents that have

Customer Question

My son has a 16 yr. old friend with paranoid parents that have overreacted to the minor things he's done. They have kicked him out of the house with no shoes or coat, then when they call hm to come home & he won't they report him as a runaway. They had threatened to send him to juevie as incouragable & he was terrified about it for awhile. Then they stopped all of their threats & he just dissappeared 3 wks ago. They won't tell friends, girlfriend, or even sister where he is or if he'll be back. How can I help find him to see if he's ok? Can I hire a lawyer or call police? I want someone to get to talk to him though to make sure he can emotionally handle where he is. He's not emotionally strong (cried telling me past) & is tiny build. Accuses them of prior physical abuse.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Joan-Mod replied 7 years ago.
This is Joan and I am a Moderator:
Thanks for your question! I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when, for example:

1. The question may be unclear.
2. The question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained adequately online.
3. The Experts that are online are simply unable to answer your question.
4. The question price you selected is low for the complexity of the question.
Please feel free to re-word your question [or increase the price] if you feel that may be the reason. [Of course, you are not required to increase the price.]

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will increase it to $10.
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
Hi, actually you can't do much except what you are doing. He can go to the police the next time they kick him out and go get help from the local mental health agency. If you feel he is in danger, you can call child protective services. He needs to keep reporting the "abuse", if the parents are just rigid in parenting he really can't do much except try to become emancipated from them and that's a process. You can call the police and find him a lawyer, there may be some legal issues there that I am not able to address but a lawyer certainly can. I know it's difficult to sit back and watch.
Please click accept and leave feedback.